Jul 18, 2018
Author: Sam Killian, MD
- Hematometra: uterus filled with blood due to obstruction of
- Most commonly a result congenital abnormalities (imperforate
hymen, transverse vaginal septum, etc.) but can be acquired due to
cervical stenosis, intrauterine adhesions, neoplasms, and
- Symptoms include: pain, abnormal bleeding, enlarged uterus
- Diagnosis: commonly achieved by ultrasound and physical
- Treatment is surgical (cervical dilatation, hysteroscopy,
U Nayak A, Swarup A, G S J, N S. Hematometra and acute abdomen.
Journal of Emergencies, Trauma and Shock.
Kotter HC, Weingrow D, Canders CP. Hematometrocolpos in a
Pubescent Girl with Abdominal Pain. Clinical Practice and Cases
in Emergency Medicine. 2017;1(3):218-220.