Apr 26, 2017
- It is
important for providers to know how to use IV drugs properly so
that they can instruct their patients on how to avoid injury.
Heroin use is increasing.
- Hepatitis, HIV and infection are possible
complications of improper IV drug use
first step of heroin use is to dissolve the solid heroin in water
using heat - a spoon and lighter are often used for this step.
Next, the heroin is drawn into the syringe through a filter (cotton
is often used).
- Heroin concentration often varies widely -
counsel patients to test their heroin first.
- Sterility of the needle, water, cooker, cotton
and syringe is paramount. Refer patients to a needle exchange
program where they can get clean supplies.
- Hepatitis C can live outside the body for 4
days - NEVER share ANY supplies.
- Sterile procedure is important - needles should
not be licked.